Almost all of us have some kind of scars on our body or the skin which may be due to some kind of injury or accident that we are likely to come across. They are normally harmless but may prove to be quite irritating if present on the face. Sometimes, the situation may require a proper scar removal as the presence may lead to damaging the self confidence of the individual. If there is a scar bothering you and there is a need for removal then there are a few things you need to know about the procedure.
- The most effective procedure for scar removal makes use of laser. During this, a laser beam will be targeted at the scarred area which removes the damaged layers of skin to reveal healthy skin and smooth the area with the scar.
- There are several different kinds of lasers that are commonly used for removing the scars, but all of them work in very much the same manner.
- The laser picked for the procedure will depend on the skin type and the kind of scarring to be removed because excessive scarring requires more powerful lasers, which also increases the risk of side effects.
- During the laser scar removal procedure, patient needs to put on special glasses for eye protection from the laser beams. After the skin is treated with an anesthetic and a cooling gel, you may be given pain medication.
- The procedure can be a little uncomfortable and you may feel a stinging sensation, but it should not be very painful.
- The good thing about laser is that it is only focused specifically on the scar, and does not affect the surrounding skin at all.
- Most procedures for scar removal take no more than 15 or 20 minutes but it may take longer depending on the size and severity of the scarring to be treated.